- Gutters: clean those gutters! When you remove leaves and other debris you can prevent clogged downspout lines and help stop formation of ice dams.
- HVAC Check-Up: a licensed heating contractor can come do a complete system check-up to make sure your heating system is working safely and efficiently. Change the interior air filters and make sure all the vents are clean and free from blockage.
- Drafts: check your windows and doors for any cold drafty spaces. If you find gaps, apply caulking to fill them in, and replace the sweep at the bottom of any exterior door if it’s worn.
- Fireplace: if you have a wood-burning fireplace it’s important to have the flue checked each winter by a professional. You can remove logs and ash from the firebox, but remember to dispose of them safely to prevent a fire hazard.
- Ceiling Fans: reverse your ceiling fans to rotate clockwise, this will create an updraft that pushes warm air down and help make your rooms warmer.
- Exterior Faucets: drain and shut off any exterior faucets and disconnect your garden hoses. You don’t want these to freeze! If you have a sprinkler system, contact a professional to drain the lines of water.
- Smoke & CO2 Detectors: replace the batteries in all your smoke and CO2 detectors! Even if your detectors are electrically hard-wired in your home, they probably have battery back-up. Keep you and your family safe this winter!
We hope these hints help keep you a little warmer and safer this winter!
.Lockridge is an on-your-own-land new home builder in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. (see all our Model Home Centers). We offer a full service website that allows you to choose floor plans, get complete price quotes, get prequalified for a mortgage, and more. For more information visit our website or email us.