You don’t have to choose between the perfect neighborhood and your perfect home. Lockridge Homes can help you get the perfect fit. If you don’t already own property, it starts with finding a lot and buying land.
Looking For Land
Find properties in the area where you’re most interested in living, then get as much information on each property as possible. That means using resources, or a Realtor, to find which properties are available and if there are zoning requirements, deed restrictions or other issues that might affect purchasing the land.
If this is your first time buying land our Representatives can help point you in the right direction. Lockridge may also have lots available where you want to live. Other resources include:
- Online Real Estate Sites – www.realtor.com www.zillow.com let you search for land only, by price, size and location.
- Plat Directories – Check your local Chamber of Commerce or county auditor’s website for community plat directories.
- County Courthouse – they can answer land ownership questions, tell you who owns each parcel of land and let you know about local laws.
- Visit the Community – if you want to live in a planned community instead of a more private property go to a community event or visit a dog park in the neighborhood you like. The homeowners are a great resource and will tell you what they like and don’t like about living there.
Pick Your Location
Choosing your right location is a process. Maybe you already know you want conveniences close by and space for your kids to play, but there are other factors you may want to consider.
- Prioritize – Do you dream of have a gas station, grocery store and restaurants close by? You might not get all of them within a few minutes’ drive, so look at your preferences and prioritize them. If proximity to the grocery store is your number-one priority, start your search around that. When you write down your “must haves” you can narrow your search.
- Your Children – School districts are also a top priority when you have children. Land located in a good school district may be more expensive, but it will raise and retain the value of your new home. Visit greatschools.org to find out how local schools are rated. Their ratings are based on test scores and not the students’ experience at the school, so be sure to read the parent and student reviews on the website too.
When you’ve found the property you love, here are some tips that will help you with the purchase and site work costs.
- Property must be surveyed by a registered surveyor, and a plat on file with your County.
- Contact your County office for septic or public utility information.
- Make sure there aren’t any deed restrictions or liens on the property
- Find out if the property is in a flood zone
Lockridge wants to build you the home of your dreams, in your perfect spot. In some of our areas Lockridge can build on your land or ours. Ask a local Lockridge Representative for more information or Ask Helen our online representative.
.Lockridge is an on-your-own-land new home builder in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. (see all our Model Home Centers). We offer a full service website that allows you to choose floor plans, get complete price quotes, get prequalified for a mortgage, and more. For more information visit our website or email us.