Winter can be a magical time of year, full of warm memories around the fireplace, great food, and family gatherings. But with all the recent snow and ice we’re passing along some tips to keep your home safe, and give you peace of mind during the low temperatures and storms!
- Clear your gutters of leaves and debris, so water doesn’t back up and freeze inside the gutters.
- Make sure your downspouts are directed away from the house. When the snow begins to melt on your roof and in your gutters, the water will drain away from your home.
- Seal any cracks or holes in your outside walls and your homes’ foundation.
- Keep your attic cool! When you maintain the temperature of your attic at 5-10 degrees warmer than the outside temperature, you can help protect your roof from ice-dam damage. This damage occurs when the heat from your home causes snow to melt at the middle of your roof, and then it refreeze at its edges.
- During extreme cold temperatures, protect your pipes! Wrap exposed pipes in insulation, and keep water trickling through them regularly. Moving water is much less likely to freeze. You can also leave your kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity doors open to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Protect your home from flooding. If snow is building up around your home, remove the snow from doorways, window wells, and walls. When the built up snow melts, it can cause water damage to your home.
We want you and your home to be safe and warm for the rest of the winter.
Lockridge is an on-your-own-land new home builder in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia. (see all our Model Home Centers). We offer a full service website that allows you to choose floor plans, get complete price quotes, get prequalified for a mortgage, and more. For more information visit our website, Facebook Page or email us.